Wincheser 231 is a classic (when??) pistol powder “ideally suited to the 38 special, 45 Auto, and 9mm standard loads” advertised to have “consistency, clean burning, low flash”. It is currently made by Hodgdon and identical to HP-38.
There are consistent rumors that Win 231 may be discontinued in the future, because it is more costly to produce than newer powders.
Bottom line: Good, but seems like a bad idea to get attached.
- Meters well, it has a slick coating and medium-small grains.
- Low static cling
- Claims to be flash suppressed
- Good amount of load data.
- Likely to be discontinued.
- Unclear how much historical load data has changed now that HP-38 and 231 are identical.
Density (per Lee dipper chart) 10.7 grains/cc
Redding 3BR Pistol Insert
pistol_insert_number ≈ (grains – 0.226)/0.139
Grains Thrown ≈ 0.139 × pistol_insert_number + 0.226
|Pistol Insert #||Grains Thrown||10x Throws (Grains)|