Alliant Red Dot a classic (introduced 1936) shotgun powder, with secondary use as a handgun powder.
Bottom Line: 👎 Does not meter well for me.
- Nice feel when metering in Redding 3BR – no hangups
- Lots of load data in the 45s
- The bargain-priced powder Promo has the same burn rate, and can be used to make Red Dot loads even more economically. (Density is different, triple-check that the substitution is OK for your application.)
- ⚠️ Occasional severe under-throws in Redding 3BR that are significantly (order 1/2) less than expected. ⚠️
- Higher variation than ball powders in Redding 3BR
- Lots of static cling.
Density (per Lee dipper chart) 7.1 grains/cc
Grains Thrown ≈ 0.0854 × Insert + 0.3
Insert ≈ (Grains – 0.3) / 0.0854
|Pistol Insert #||Grains Thrown||10x Throws (Grains)|
Recommended for making blanks.